We all have days where we feel down in the dumps, discouraged, sad, or depressed.
Maybe you’re unhappy about something that happened recently in your personal life, stressed from work, or just bummed out from being stuck in the house all day studying.
Luckily, these feelings aren’t permanent and they will get better if you find ways to get out of the funk and lift your spirits.
Here are 15 ways to help boost your mood right now so you can start feeling your best again and get back to being your awesome self!
15 Ways To Boost Your Mood Right Now
1. Watch a light-hearted movie or show. Sometimes all you need to do to positively change your mood is to watch a funny movie or show. Get your mind off of things by turning on your favorite comedy or rom-com, snack on your favorite food, and get some laughs in! It’ll instantly make you feel happier.
2. Smile. Although you might not be in the mood to smile when you’re feeling sad or down, forcing yourself to physically smile will subconsciously put you in a better mood. It might feel ridiculous when you first start to smile, but it really does work!
3. Listen to happy, upbeat music. Music can be a total mood changer and thank god for that! Turn on some beats on Spotify with happy vibes and start dancing to the music (don’t worry – you can do this privately in your room!).
4. Exercise to produce those endorphins. What better way to instantly feel better than to produce happy endorphins? Get some exercise at the gym or outside and you’ll feel so much more happy and healthy. And bonus – you’ll start to love your new figure as well!
5. Get together with your friends. Sometimes all you need is a get-together with your girlfriends to elevate your mood. Go out and grab some drinks, spend time together, gossip, hear out each other’s problems, and catch up!
6. List out what you’re grateful for. A change in perspective is sometimes all you need to entirely change your mood. So instead of feeling down in the dumps and focusing on how bad you feel, write down everything that you’re grateful for at this very moment in a wellness or gratitude journal.
Actually listing out how lucky you are to be where you are at this moment in time can be really eye-opening and decrease any negativity you may be feeling.
Check out these journals that can specifically help guide you in this area and will inspire positivity, balance, and joy in your life. Here are some of my favorites:
7. Be kind and help someone out. A very quick and easy way to instantly boost your mood is to help someone out. Take time out of your day to make someone’s day better by doing them a small favor such as holding the door for a stranger or providing directions to someone who is lost. Your act of kindness will rub off on others. Not only will it make you feel great, it’ll put them in a good mood as well!
8. Take a day trip. Sometimes staying in the same environment for a long time can leave us feeling stuck in a rut so try to change it up every so often. A great way to take a break is to get out of the city or town that you live in and travel to a nearby destination just for a day trip. It can be relaxing, change your perspective, put you in a great mood, and make it feel like you’re going on a mini-vacation without actually traveling far and spending a lot of money.
9. Spend time in nature. A little sunshine and time outside is always great to instantly put you in a good mood. I know when I’m out hiking or on a trail, I feel more in tune with nature and I feel so much happier and at peace right away! Plus, all the green outside is great for your eyes, especially you’re always staring at your phone and laptop screens.
10. Go to an animal shelter. If you’re an animal lover, a fun way to boost your mood is to go visit an animal shelter. Seeing cute cats, dogs, and other animals will definitely put a smile on your face! Or if you already own a pet, spend time and bond with your furry friend. Seeing how happy they are to see you and spend time with you will bring joy to your day.
11. Treat yourself. If you’re feeling down, treat yourself to something that you’ve been craving or wanting for a long time. For example, get a mani and pedi or a box of macarons you’ve always wanted! You deserve it!
12. Feed yourself a healthy meal. Feeding yourself well is super important. If you’re not giving your body the nutritious foods it needs and craves, you’re probably not going to feel that great about yourself and that can ultimately affect your mood. Cooking can also be a really therapeutic experience so making a healthy meal is a double win!
If you’re not great in the kitchen or just the thought of having to plan your meals stresses you out, I recommend checking out the Eat At Home Meal Plans if you’re looking to create cheap but healthy meals.
This meal plan membership includes access to ALL 4 of the following separate meal plans. The great part is you can mix and match depending on your needs and tastes.
- Traditional – This plan is family-friendly and includes a variety of meats and veggies, and the occasional meatless meal.
- Wholesome Traditional – This plan places more emphasis on natural foods including a variety of meats, vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Slow Cooker/Instant Pot – This plan provides recipes that you can cook in your slow cooker and includes many Instant Pot recipes as well. (Bonus: It includes 1 week of Slow Cooker Freezer meals that are ready to eat in an hour!)
- No Flour, No Sugar – This plan includes easy-to-prepare meals made from veggies and protein from whole foods with no flour or artificial sugars added.
Other great advantages of the Eat At Home Meal Plans include:
- Meal plans provided at the beginning of the month so you’ll have time to plan and minimize shopping trips
- 15-minute meals for super busy nights
- Color-coded lists so you can swap out ingredients or whole meals when needed
- Printable recipes for easy cooking
- Printable menus which are perfect to hang on your fridge or near your calendar for easy viewing
These will help you save time so you don’t have to think long and hard on what to make at home and it’ll keep you focused on staying healthy. Definitely check it out!
13. Take a break from social media. Social media can be a double-edged sword. It’s a great way to connect with your friends and family but it can also be a little depressing when you’re constantly only seeing how much fun everyone else is having. Taking a break and disconnecting from time to time is always healthy.
14. Volunteer. Giving back is always a great way to boost your mood and take the focus off of yourself. Find somewhere that you’d like to volunteer at such as a soup kitchen, nursing home, or at an event where you can give back to the community.
15. Buy yourself some flowers. One of my favorite ways to instantly feel happier is to buy myself some fresh cut flowers and display them around the house. They instantly brighten up the room and put me in a great mood! Just looking at them makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I hope you liked these ideas on how to quickly improve and boost your mood when you’re feeling down!
Looking for more posts on how to start a healthier lifestyle this year? Check out these posts:
- 14 Ways To Get Better Sleep To Feel More Productive & Energized
- How To Drink More Water Every Day For A Healthier You
- 15 Self-Care Habits That Will Inspire Joy & Happiness In Your Life
- 6 Ways To Start The Week Off Right Every Sunday
- How To Stay Healthy And Sane When You Work At A Desk Job
- How To Relax After Work When You Have A Stressful Day
- 7 Ways To Remove Negativity From Your Life
What are some things you like to do to get yourself out of a funk?