Being in an environment where you feel relaxed and at peace is really important in order to be productive and happy.
If you find that you’re constantly feeling overwhelmed or stressed out when you’re in a certain space, take a look at your environment.
What do you see?
Is your space cluttered with stuff that you don’t need?
Do you feel anxious and not at ease?
In today’s post, I’ll be talking about 8 ways to create a more calm and relaxing environment in your home or office so you can feel less stressed, more happy, and at peace.
1. Get Rid Of Clutter
Clutter is the enemy of productivity. If you’re prone to hoarding things, you might want to think again.
I know when I’m in a room full of things that serve no purpose but just take up space, it can feel extremely suffocating. I can’t seem to sit still or stay focused at whatever the task is at hand that I’m doing.
Try to be as minimalistic as possible and only put things that serve a purpose and are absolutely necessary into that space. You’ll feel more at ease and less anxious when the area is more open.
2. Organize The Room
Once you’ve gotten rid of clutter, tidy up everything that is left and organize your furniture in a way that will allow for more open space.
Use drawers, filing cabinets, closets, and storage units (such as an ottoman) to your advantage. You want to store and hideaway things that you need frequently but still be able to access them easily when you need them.
When you feel like everything is functioning and in order, you’ll be able to focus better and get into a better state of flow.
Check out my other posts on how to organize your office area in a pretty but functional way:
- 7 ways to decorate and organize your work desk to inspire creativity and productivity
- The ultimate list of rose gold office supplies and desk accessories
3. Paint The Walls
This is something that you might overlook, but the color of the walls that you’re in the most frequently can really change up the feel of your environment.
Imagine you were always in a room that had a busy wallpaper with a ton of details and the paint color was a bright neon or red color. This can easily make the room feel too stimulating and it can keep you stuck in a feeling of anxiety and agitation.
Now imagine a room that has walls that are a plain but soft color. This invokes feelings of calm, peace, and tranquility instead which is exactly what we want.
Choose relaxing colors and tones such as soft blues, greens, rich and light purples, greys, whites, and beiges and try to avoid colors such as reds, crimsons, oranges, and yellows.
Just a simple change like that can transform the feel of your room and how you feel.
4. Use Aromatherapy
If you’re looking to create a calm environment that brings you stress relief, I highly recommend incorporating aromatherapy into your home.
Aromatherapy uses essential oils to promote wellbeing and helps with both emotional and physical health. It has so many benefits including managing your stress and anxiety levels, boosting your immunity, helping manage pain, and so much more.
There are many ways to use essential oils but some of the most popular way is to add them to lotions, carrier oils, and diffusing them using an essential oil diffuser. One thing you don’t want to do is to apply them to your skin directly!
Using an essential oil diffuser is one of my favorite ways to add essential oils the room and bring a relaxing vibe.
More Resources To Learn About Essential Oils
If you’re looking for more resources on essential oils and how to relax, clean, treat, and improve your health and wellness with natural remedies, I highly recommend checking out the Herbs & Essential Oils Super Bundle.
Included in this bundle are 40 e-Books, e-Courses, printables, and workshops that will:
- Guide you on which natural remedies work and why (based on research and science)
- Teach you how to use herbs & essential oils to relax and de-stress
- Teach you how to safely use essential oils for you and your family
- Save you money by teaching you how to make these remedies yourself, forage for fresh ingredients, and grow your own herbs
- Give you ideas on how to create your DIY beauty and skincare products that are healthy for your body
Now, I totally get that it’s a HUGE number of resources (the bundle is valued at $701.14 after all!), but here’s the thing…
Even if just a handful of products apply to your life right now, it’s well worth the investment. Plus, it only takes 3 or 4 eBooks or eCourses that you’re going to use for you to start saving money.
And the best part is this collection of resources is yours to keep! All you need to do is download all the e-Books and register for the e-Courses within six months of purchase.
Aromatherapy Foundational Concepts – e-Course Valued At $75
- Learn how to get started with essential oils quickly, safely, and effectively
75+ Simple Essential Oil Recipes for the Whole Family – e-Book Valued At $14.99
- Learn how to create simple but non-toxic essential oil solutions for your whole family
Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes – e-Book Valued At $7.99
- Tons of essential oil diffuser recipes to incorporate into your every day life
First Aid Essential Oils for Mothers and Children – e-Course Valued At $14.50
- Great if you’re a mom who wants to use essential oils to help your children heal from everyday ailments and illnesses
Growing Culinary Herbs at Home – e-Course Valued At $47
- Learn how to grow 15 culinary herbs in your own home garden
- Learn how to harvest herbs at their peak, how to preserve them properly, and make tasty spice blends for delicious meals
Essential Clean Home – e-Book Valued At $7
- Learn how to change out store-bought cleaning products for easy DIY cleaning recipes using essential oils that will bring big changes to your everyday health and life
ANTI Anti-Aging Natural Skincare Guide: Amazing Skin No Matter What Your Number – e-Book Valued At $9.99
- Rediscover your best skin with this natural skincare guide (no matter your age!)
- Includes recipes to make effective skincare products at home
Check out the Herbs & Essential Oils Super Bundle today!
5. Change Up the lighting
Changing the lighting in a room can have a huge affect on the way you feel in that space. Here are some of my favorite ways to really change the way you feel in the room without too much work.
Himalayan Salt Lamp
A Himalayan salt lamp is a great way to create a nice relaxing ambience in any room at night.
It’s basically a lamp where a lightbulb is placed into large pieces of pink Himalayan salt and it emits a beautiful warm glow to the room.
These Himalayan salt lamps are really popular nowadays because they claim to provide health benefits such as improving the air quality in your home, boosting your mood, as well as helping you sleep better. These claims aren’t proven though so keep that in mind if you’re looking to add one to your home.
Another great way to add a nice ambiance to the room and calm the senses is to light up some candles. Not only are these great to help provide some light in a room, they smell really great too if you pick a scent that you really like that relaxes you.
Here are some of my favorite picks:
Turn On The Fireplace
If you have a fireplace in your home, light it up and watch as it changes up the ambience of the room. If you don’t like the idea of having to use or install a real fireplace, an electric fireplace works just as well!
During the day, add more sunlight to help create a feeling of openness and joy. Open up any curtains or blinds that you might have to let the natural sunlight peak in.
6. Put On Calming Music
Another great way to instantly change up your room’s atmosphere and put you into a nice, relaxed mood is to put on some calming music.
Think of the type of music that a spa or a yoga studio plays. From light jazz, lo-fi, classical, ambient music, to instrumentals, find genres that bring you comfort and peace and then curate your own Spotify playlist (or search for a playlist that already exists) or stream songs on Youtube.
7. Add some greenery
One of my favorite ways to transform any space into a calm place of zen is to add greenery.
Add fake or real succulents, plants or flowers, cactus, terrariums, or whatever floats your boat to your space and you’ll feel more at ease. Just make sure to water them as needed if they’re real!
8. Put Your Electronics Away
Last but not least, remove any electronics from the room such as cell phones or TVs. These can be a huge distraction and can make you feel like you’re always on edge or need to be up to date on notifications.
If you find that you’re constantly looking at your phone, take a last look before entering your space of calm and then just forget about it for a set period of time after.
Give yourself a break – any notifications or emails you’ve received will be there when you get back!
Looking for more ways to relax, stay healthy, and add joy and happiness in your life? Check out these posts:
- 15 Self-Care Habits That Will Inspire Joy & Happiness In Your Life
- How To Relax After Work When You Have A Stressful Day
- 14 Ways To Get Better Sleep To Feel More Productive & Energized
- How To Go To Sleep Earlier (Even When You’re A Total Night Owl!)
- How To Keep Fit When You Travel
- How To Drink More Water Every Day For A Healthier You
- 15 Ways To Easily Boost Your Mood Right Now
- 6 Ways To Start The Week Off Right Every Sunday
- How To Stay Healthy And Sane When You Work At A Desk Job