Let’s face it. Dates can get really expensive and they can become a burden to any budget! No matter which party in the relationship is shelling out the cash, a combination of getting drinks, food, and paying for entertainment eventually all adds up.
Luckily, you don’t need to pay a lot of money to have fun and enjoy time together. Here are 50 frugal date ideas you can do with your partner to save money that don’t cost an arm and a leg or are totally free.
1. Go grocery shopping or a farmer’s market and cook a feast at home together. Cooking at home is a lot cheaper than eating at an expensive restaurant so have some fun looking up some recipes, head to the grocery store, and cook your favorite meal together.
2. Take a romantic walk down the beach at sunset.
3. Go hiking on a trail in the wilderness.
4. Pretend you’re both tourists in your own city. Don’t forget to bring a camera and a selfie-stick!
5. Have a TV show marathon. Binge watch all of the seasons of your favorite TV show together at home.
6. Get cheap Groupon tickets to go-karting, mini golfing, sporting events, concerts, and more. There are always deals on Groupon that will allow you to do fun local activities for a huge discount. Don’t forget to also check out Stubhub for resale tickets! Those 2 sites are perfect for those who love to be frugal because you can save a lot of money buying through those sites instead of directly from the vendor.
7. Go to a pet adoption event together.
8. Bike along the coast.
9. Join a local brewery tour and enjoy some beer samples. Many of them will show you how they make their beer and are free to join.
10. Go to a local food tasting event.
11. Go wine tasting in the countryside. If you’re going to spend the day outside of the city, go to your local vineyard and join a wine tasting tour.
12. Spend some time at the mall and window shop together. Or go to a thrift store or outlet mall if you want some cheap deals!
13. Set up a tent in the backyard and go stargazing.
14. Spend the day at a museum.
15. Attend an open house. Pretend you’re looking for a new place with your partner. It can be a whole lot of fun checking out houses or apartments for sale together especially if you’re into interior design.
16. Hit up a local ice cream joint. This is always a great idea to cool down on a hot summer day!
17. Volunteer at a charity or event together.
18. Have a board game night at home and play your favorite childhood games.
19. Enjoy a day at the zoo. This is perfect for animal lovers!
20. Play a racquet sport together such as tennis or squash.
21. Attend a local fair or carnival. Get some funnel cake and play some games!
22. Watch a movie at the drive-in.
23. Go to a stand-up comedy club. Don’t forget to check out deals from Groupon for your local comedy club.
24. Hit up local garage sales. One person’s junk is another person’s treasure. You never know what you and your partner may find.
25. Play video games at home.
26. Make ugly Christmas sweaters. It’s never too early to make an ugly Christmas sweater!
27. Go fishing at the break of dawn.
28. Have a BBQ and roast marshmallows around the campfire. This is perfect for chilly nights!
29. Go to a paint night together and see who is the better artist.
30. Have a movie night at home. Make some popcorn and get cozy on the couch. This is perfect during cold, winter nights!
31. Go fruit picking.
32. Go to the library or second-hand bookstore. This is the perfect date idea for book lovers!
33. Sing karaoke at home.
34. Take a cooking class. Learn a cuisine you guys have both always been interested in trying.
35. Go skating. This is always a nice, romantic date idea in the winter.
36. Finish a 1000-piece puzzle.
37. Make a bucket list of things to do together in the future. Want to travel the world? Go skydiving? Write them all down in a bucket list journal and start crossing things off your list!
38. Bake desserts. Look on Pinterest for great dessert ideas!
39. Test drive your dream cars.
40. Turn up some music, pour some alcohol, and have a dance party at home. Forget about going to the club! Save money by having your own dance party at home and play music you actually like.
41. Have fun at the local water park.
43. Go swimming at the local pool. Also, check out a wave pool if you want to try something new and different.
44. Have a spa night with massages, back rubs, and face masks. This is perfect for a night where you and your partner want to relax after a busy day.
45. Re-enact your first date night.
46. Have a water balloon fight in your backyard.
47. Enjoy some time at a dog park. Any dog lover will really enjoy this!
48. Have a picnic in the park on a bright and sunny day.
49. Go tobogganing in the snow.
50. Go rollerblading.
There you have it – 50 frugal date ideas! I hope this list gives you some ideas on how to save some money on your next date but still have fun.
What are some date ideas you like that don’t break the bank?