Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a commission if you purchase through them.
It’s that time of year again.
The sun is shining, the weather is nice, and many of us are taking time off work to go on vacation and travel the world with friends, family, and loved ones.
Traveling is great and all – with new sights, delicious food, and great company – but a lot of times we tend to neglect our bodies by over-indulging and not regularly exercising while we’re on vacation.
Not only that but often times we don’t even get the chance to work out because we just don’t have the right workout equipment or time to exercise due to a schedule jam-packed with activities.
Whatever the excuse may be, exercising should be a priority to promote good health regardless if you’re on vacation or not. In today’s post, I’ll be talking about 8 tips on how to stay in shape and keep fit when you travel.
8 Ways To Keep Fit When You Travel
1. Pack pre-workout, protein powder, and workout attire. Before heading out on your trip, don’t forget to pack pre-workout, some protein powder, as well as workout clothes (Forever 21 has really cute gym attire!), a glass water bottle, and running shoes.
There’s a very small chance you will be able to wash your clothes if you’re going on a trip (unless you do it by hand) so always pack enough gym clothes!
2. Bring your own equipment. You can also pack and bring your own lightweight equipment on your trip. One great piece of equipment I recommend that you bring that is versatile and lightweight for multiple types of workouts and stretches is a resistance band.
I would probably leave any dumbbells and yoga mats at home because they are not very travel-friendly especially with today’s weight restrictions for luggage on airplanes.
3. Use your hotel gym. The very first thing I like to do before I even go on vacation is to know if my hotel will have a gym. Having a gym with proper equipment such as a treadmill, elliptical, weights, etc in your hotel makes working out a breeze.
All you have to do is to find the time to go! I suggest getting up early in the morning or going late at night to get your workout in without missing out on the day’s activities.
4. Use your own bodyweight. If your hotel doesn’t have a gym, a great way to add a workout to your day is to just exercise in your hotel room.
If you normally use weights at the gym, do body-weight exercises instead if you’re lacking the equipment. Some of my favorite bodyweight exercises that help keep me toned and defined when I’m out of the country are burpees, squats, and push-ups.
5. Follow workout videos. Another great way to get motivated and follow some guidance is to follow workout videos.
You can use fitness apps such as Sworkit which will guide you through workouts wherever you are.
I also really enjoy working out to Beachbody programs (my favorite is Turbo Jam!) for cardio.
6. Join a class. If you’re vacationing at a resort, what better way to meet some of your fellow neighbors, enjoy the sunshine, and get some exercise in by joining a class.
Many resorts have an itinerary of activities available every day of the week such as aquafit in the pool, tai chi, yoga, and more! Join a class and get moving!
7. Run outside. If you’re unable to find a gym or work out in your hotel room, a great way to keep fit on your vacation is to run outside or take a hike. It’s totally free! You might even be able to enjoy some sightseeing along the way.
Just make sure you stay hydrated and keep track of where you are so you know how to get back to your original destination and hotel.
8. Don’t over-indulge. Last but not least, be mindful of what you’re putting in your body and eat healthily.
Vacation is all about letting loose, having fun, and letting the stress melt away! But don’t neglect your body just because you’re not at home anymore.
Eat lots of fruits and veggies in your diet. It’s fine to have a few cheat meals here and there but if you’re going to be overeating and having cheat meals the entire time you’re on vacation, it will lead to weight gain!
You don’t have to put working out on the back burner when you’re on vacation! I hope you enjoyed these 8 tips on how to stay in shape while you travel. Enjoy the sun and safe travels!
Looking for more posts on how to start a healthier lifestyle this year? Check out these posts:
- 5 Fun Ways To Get Fit On A Budget This Summer
- 14 Ways To Get Better Sleep To Feel More Productive & Energized
- How To Go To Sleep Earlier (Even When You’re A Total Night Owl!)
- 15 Ways To Easily Boost Your Mood Right Now
- How To Drink More Water Every Day For A Healthier You
- 15 Self-Care Habits That Will Inspire Joy & Happiness In Your Life
- 6 Ways To Start The Week Off Right Every Sunday
- How To Stay Healthy And Sane When You Work At A Desk Job
- How To Relax After Work When You Have A Stressful Day
What are some ways you like to keep fit when you travel?