The new year is finally here and that means it’s that time of year again to figure out what has and hasn’t worked out this past year and how to improve going forward into 2020.
Why You Should Set New Year’s Goals
If you’re reading this and you’re not the type of person who believes in setting goals for the new year, you might want to think again!
Now, I’m not talking about new year’s resolutions which most people tend to think about when the new year rolls around.
Resolutions don’t necessarily have a deadline and they’re more abstract.
Instead, goals are more specific and measurable which is what you want to focus on instead and will help you get to where you want to be this year.
Here are some reasons why I believe you should set goals at the beginning of the year.
Easy To Keep Track
Obviously you can set goals any time throughout the year and I totally encourage you to continuously revise your goals during the year.
But setting concrete goals in the the new year can be an easy marker and a great way to keep track of your success with ease.
Knowing that you’ve started working towards a goal in January makes it easy to track how far you’ve come throughout the year because you know the exact start date of your goals.
You’re Not Alone
Setting goals at the beginning of the year is also great because many people are in the same boat as you.
When you share your goals and ideas with these people who are just as pumped and ready to work hard to achieve their own goals as you are, it can rub off on you in a good way!
For example, when you workout in January to get closer to your fitness goals, there will be a whole lot of people there with you at the gym who are just as ready to get into shape as you!
Having a whole group of people who are in the same boat and are ready to cheer you on when you’re trying to achieve something is way easier than trying to achieve it all by yourself without any support or encouragement.
Higher Likelihood of Success
Setting goals for yourself at the beginning of the year is the first step to getting where you want to be and knowing the direction you’re working towards.
When you know exactly what you’re striving for, you can then plan out the necessary steps and the exact action plan to get there.
You’ll have a much lower likelihood of success if you’re lost or wandering around aimlessly!
A Fresh Start
Lastly, setting goals for the new year can psychologically feel like it’s a fresh start.
If you tend to kick yourself for not achieving everything as planned the previous year, treat the new year like it’s a totally blank slate.
25 New Year’s Goal Ideas
Now that you know why setting goals at the beginning of the year is so important, here are some starter ideas on goals you can try to set and accomplish this new year to better yourself and achieve success.
1. Maintain a regular fitness regimen. Joining a gym or doing workouts at home are both great ways to get your body moving and in shape.
2. Get up earlier. We all only have 24 hours in a day. If you want to get more done during the day, you’ll need to free up these hours if you have a busy schedule and getting up earlier is a great way to do that.
3. Drink more water. Water is so important for a healthy body so drink less sodas, sugary drinks, and alcohol this year for a healthier you!
4. Keep a regular sleep schedule. Maintaining a regular sleep schedule is important for getting better sleep quality which will help you stay more alert, feel more energized, and improve your productivity levels during the day.
If your sleeping schedule is all out of whack when the weekend rolls around, you might want to re-think that and start choosing a regular bed time!
11. Start a side hustle. If you’re looking to start a side business this year, here are 30 side hustle ideas I recommend that you check out to earn extra cash!
12. Be more kind to yourself by practicing self-care. You’re often your own harshest critic so stop bashing yourself. Be nicer to yourself this year by practicing self-care and positive self-talk.
13. Learn a new skill. What is something that you’ve always wanted to learn? A language? An instrument? Start taking lessons this year and gain a new skill!
14. Meditate and practice mindfulness everyday. With all the chaos and stress that happens in our lives, it’s important to take the time out of your busy day to meditate and re-center your thoughts.
15. Do one specific thing that is totally out of your comfort zone. In order to grow, you sometimes have to do stuff that is totally out of your comfort zone and that makes you nervous or scared. Pick something you want to tackle this year and get it done! You’ll feel great after and it’ll help you gain the confidence that you can do whatever you set your mind to in the future.
16. Pay down outstanding debt. Getting your finances in order if you have outstanding debt is important if you want to start saving money and living financially free. So make a plan on how you’re going to do that and start paying down outstanding debt today!
17. Travel the world. Traveling is a great way to relax and have fun but also to broaden your view of the world and find yourself when you need to do some soul searching.
18. Spend more time with family and friends. If you don’t see your friends and family as much as you’d like, put in the effort this year to reach out to them and see them more often.
Take the time out of your busy day to nurture your relationships because it’s easy to lose contact if both parties don’t put in the effort.
19. Limit your time on social media. We waste hours on end everyday scrolling through social media when we can be more productive and get things done.
20. Go on a shopping ban. We live in a materialistic world where we think we’ll be happier the more we have. Well that isn’t great for our wallets or our minds! Try going on a shopping ban this year and see how much happier you and your wallet can get!
21. Spend money on experiences instead of shopping. Focus less on material goods this year like goal #20 above and more on experiences which are far more memorable!
22. Write in a journal every day. Document your thoughts and feelings this year in a daily journal so you can look back on it from years to come.
23. Watch less TV. Stop spending as much time watching shows on Netflix you like and start being more productive and focusing on furthering your own personal development.
24. Have more ‘me’ time. Spending time with yourself is important to get to know yourself and to recharge. If you’re constantly on the go or taking care of everyone but yourself, it’s time to change that this year!
25. Limit how much you sit. Sitting is detrimental to our health but many of us have to sit at a desk for long periods of time at 9 to 5 jobs. Stop being sedentary and get moving!
More Resources To Help You Reach Your Goals
If you’re looking for more resources to set goals and make this the best year yet, I highly recommend checking out The Ultimate Productivity Bundle.
If you find that you’re always overwhelmed, you want to be more productive and manage your time better, and you have big dreams and goals but you just can’t seem to get them accomplished, you need to check this out!
Included in this bundle are 46 e-Books, e-Courses, printables, videos, workbooks, and more, so you’ll have a ton of resources that will give you all of the necessary strategies to conquer your to-do list, reach your goals, and free up more time for activities that you actually enjoy!
Now, I totally get that it’s a HUGE number of resources (the bundle is valued at $1,506.90 after all!), but here’s the thing…
Even if just a handful of products apply to your life right now, it’s well worth the investment. Plus, it only takes 3 or 4 eBooks or eCourses that you’re going to use for you to start saving money.
And the best part is this collection of resources is yours to keep! All you need to do is download all the e-Books and register for the e-Courses within six months of purchase.
Take a look at some of my favorite resources that are included in this bundle:
The 90-Day Personal Productivity Power Plan – e-Course Valued At $197
- Discover how to create a plan so you know what you’re doing and when
- Learn how to feel satisfied with how you spend your time and who you spend it with
- Complete your goals and learn how to create achievable goals in the first place
- Finish the 90 days more satisfied and less stressed
Goal Setting 101: How To Set Goals As A Beginner – e-Course Valued At $49
- Learn the steps on how exactly to set achievable goals
The Personal Productivity Toolkit – e-Course Valued At $197
- Learn how to beat overwhelm
- Learn how to get more done in less time
- Master your email and manage your time better
- Create a simple system for increasing your efficiency and staying organized
90-Day Personal Growth Goal and Life Planning System – e-Course Valued At $37
- Includes a 280-page printable planning system & 8 video mini-course
- Guides you step-by-step in creating your goal-achieving plan of action
Get organized now and supercharge your productivity this year with The Ultimate Productivity Bundle now!
There you have it – 25 ideas on goals you can set for yourself this year!
In no way is this list complete but I hope my post gives you some ideas on what you can do to improve your life this year.
Have a wonderful 2020 and I hope you achieve all of your goals this year!
Don’t forget to check out my other posts on goal setting and being more productive with your day:
- How To Slay Your Goals This Year & Get Sh*t Done
- How To Stay Motivated To Reach Your Goals
- 8 Things You Need To Do Before 9 AM For A More Productive Day
- 15 Kick-Ass Planners You Need To Get Organized
- 30 Productive Things To Do Before Bed Instead Of Watching Netflix
- 6 Ways To Start The Week Off Right Every Sunday
- How To Be More Productive When You Work From Home
- How To Stay Healthy And Sane When You Work At A Desk Job
What are some of your new year’s goal ideas that you want to accomplish this year? Let me know in the comments!