We all have those days where we feel super stressed and need to find a way to relax after work.
Whether it’s from having to deal with a demanding client or stress from having to complete an important project by a specific deadline, it happens and we all need a breather sometimes.
When I’m feeling stressed from a busy day at work, I look forward to enjoying a quiet night at home where I can just relax and unwind. Luckily, I have no kids yet so it definitely helps that I don’t need to take care of any little ones.
It’s always important to take time out of our day to make sure we’re looking after ourselves and practice self-care, especially during these stressful times. If you’re feeling stressed, here are my tips on 8 easy ways to relax and unwind your mind and body.
1. Make Your Favorite Hot Beverage
I love making a hot cup of tea and curling in bed or on the couch with a book when I’m in dire need of some winding down time.
My favorite tea to make when I want to relax is a Twinnings Chamomile, Honey & Vanilla Tea. It’s delicious tasting with a hint of honey and vanilla and it’s also caffeine-free which is great for before bedtime so you don’t feel wired before sleeping.
You can also choose another beverage of choice such as other types of fruity or herbal teas if you’re not really into chamomile.
If I don’t feel like having tea, I also tend to like making hot chocolate topped with some whipped cream, a decaf coffee, or a cup of hot water mixed with a lemon slice and a spoonful of honey. All are equally as delicious!
The last thing you want to do if you’re caffeine sensitive is to drink a caffeinated drink a few hours before bed. In fact, if you’re very sensitive, you might want to stay away from it once 12 pm rolls around or it can really interrupt your sleep later on at night.
2. Binge Watch Your Favorite Shows
In addition to reading a book, a great way to relax and take your mind off of things is to binge watch your favorite TV shows on Netflix, catch up with your favorite Youtubers, or finally watch that movie you’ve been putting off for ages.
Sometimes we have so many responsibilities in everyday life that we don’t let our minds take a break. Watching a show or movie definitely helps with getting your mind off of life by making you focus on what’s happening on the TV.
3. Order Takeout & Have A Cheat Meal
When I’m really stressed, I love to treat myself to some comfort food that I wouldn’t normally eat on a regular basis.
For me, that’s a bag of all-dressed or BBQ chips and a tub of chocolate ice cream. It’s so fattening but absolutely delicious!
If you’re not really into sweets or other junk food, you can also order from your favorite takeout food joint to treat yourself. Or if you’re feeling really lazy, get it delivered right to your door without having to step food outside of your home.
Of course I’m not telling you to do this every night because it can definitely lead to obesity and an unhappy wallet. But treating yourself once in a while is healthy if you don’t go overboard.
If you don’t have time to plan your own meals, I recommend checking out HelloFresh! They’re a meal delivery kit service that delivers fresh ingredients right to your door so you can make a delicious meal in under 30 minutes without the hassle of having to plan out each of your meals.
4. Pamper Yourself
If you’re not the type to turn to food when you’re feeling stressed, setting up your own spa date in the comfort of your own home and pampering yourself is a great alternative way to give yourself some love and relieve yourself from stress.
I love applying a clay face mask to help detox my skin right after I take a nice hot shower when my skin feels congested or a hydrating mask if my skin looks a little dull.
You can also exfoliate your body with your favorite fruity smelling body scrub that’ll be sure to put you in a good mood. If you’re looking for an awesome scrub that smells awesome and does the job, try The Body Shop’s Mango Exfoliating Sugar Body Scrub. It’s my number one favorite scrub because it smells sooo good and it makes my skin feel so smooth and soft.
Last but not least, you can also pamper yourself by painting your nails with your favorite polish and a fast drying top coat!
5. Take A Bubble Bath
Another great way to unwind is to take a nice, hot bubble bath in the comfort of your own bathroom.
Drop your favorite bath bomb in the tub (mine is the Sex Bomb by Lush), pour a glass of wine, and get ready to relax after a hard day’s work while your skin hydrates itself with the bath bomb’s moisturizing properties.
6. Write In A Journal
If you need an outlet to vent your problems and frustrations, writing in a private journal is a great therapeutic way to let out your thoughts and gain clarity on any issues or problems in your work and personal life.
It’s also a plus that you can have some fun by going back to old entries after a lot of time has passed and re-reading some of the things that stressed you out in the past.
You’ll see that a lot of these things you wrote about in the past turned out to not be such big problems after all! This can really help put things into perspective if you’re having a bad day.
If you’re looking for journal recommendations, I highly recommend these gratitude and wellness journals:
Meditation and using techniques such as mindfulness are great ways to unwind and refocus your thoughts.
If nothing else is really helping me relax, I like to take some time out of my night to clear my mind. When I’m alone in my own space, I close my eyes and put all my focus on my breathing.
8. Sleep Early
If all else fails, call it a night and hit the sack early so you can give your body and mind a change to recharge. Remember to put your phone away and any other distractions that might hold you back from getting some rest in another room. You’ll most likely feel better after you get a good night’s sleep!
More resources you’ll want to check out to improve your self-care
If you’re looking for more resources on how to take your self-care to the next level by learning how to fully relax, clean, treat, and improve your health and wellness with natural remedies, I highly recommend checking out the Herbs & Essential Oils Super Bundle.
Included in this bundle are 40 e-Books, e-Courses, printables, and workshops that will:
- Guide you on which natural remedies work and why (based on research and science)
- Teach you how to use herbs & essential oils to relax and de-stress
- Teach you how to safely use essential oils for you and your family
- Save you money by teaching you how to make these remedies yourself, forage for fresh ingredients, and grow your own herbs
- Give you ideas on how to create your DIY beauty and skincare products that are healthy for your body
Now, I totally get that it’s a HUGE number of resources (the bundle is valued at $701.14 after all!), but here’s the thing…
Even if just a handful of products apply to your life right now, it’s well worth the investment. Plus, it only takes 3 or 4 eBooks or eCourses that you’re going to use for you to start saving money.
And the best part is this collection of resources is yours to keep! All you need to do is download all the e-Books and register for the e-Courses within six months of purchase.
Aromatherapy Foundational Concepts – e-Course Valued At $75
- Learn how to get started with essential oils quickly, safely, and effectively
75+ Simple Essential Oil Recipes for the Whole Family – e-Book Valued At $14.99
- Learn how to create simple but non-toxic essential oil solutions for your whole family
The Healing Powers of Tea – e-Course Valued At $39.99
- Explore how to use herbal teas to help remedy your every day health care needs
A Year of Seasonal Herbs – e-Course Valued At $47
- Learn how to use herbs for medicine, body products, and in food to improve your health
DIY Natural Spa Treatments: Luxurious Herbal Skincare for Face and Body – e-Book Valued At $9.95
- Learn how to create an all-natural spa experience right in the comfort of your home, including your own facial steams, face masks, body wraps, bath teas, and more
Essential Clean Home – e-Book Valued At $7
- Learn how to change out store-bought cleaning products for easy DIY cleaning recipes using essential oils that will bring big changes to your everyday health and life
ANTI Anti-Aging Natural Skincare Guide: Amazing Skin No Matter What Your Number – e-Book Valued At $9.99
- Rediscover your best skin with this natural skincare guide (no matter your age!)
- Includes recipes to make effective skincare products at home
Herbal Salves, Oils, Butter & Balms – e-Book Valued At $10
- Discover how to use herbs safely for health and beauty
- Learn how to create beautiful herb infused oils and then turn them into skincare and health supporting balms and salves
Check out the Herbs & Essential Oils Super Bundle today!
Taking the time out of your busy schedule to relax after a stressful day will help your body and mind to feel more clear, refreshed, and ready to take on the day again. I hope that some of these relaxation tips were helpful!
Looking for more posts on how to start a healthier lifestyle this year? Check out these posts:
- 14 Ways To Get Better Sleep To Feel More Productive & Energized
- How To Go To Sleep Earlier (Even When You’re A Total Night Owl!)
- How To Keep Fit When You Travel
- How To Drink More Water Every Day For A Healthier You
- 15 Ways To Easily Boost Your Mood Right Now
- 6 Ways To Start The Week Off Right Every Sunday
- 15 Self-Care Habits That Will Inspire Joy & Happiness In Your Life
- How To Stay Healthy And Sane When You Work At A Desk Job
What are some things you like to do to unwind and relax after work after a stressful day? Feel free to share!