Today’s post is all about self-care. No matter which occupation you’re in or if you’re still in school, our lives are so busy and full of chaos in this day and age that a lot of times we put ourselves on the back burner and don’t properly take care of ourselves.
Think about it for a second. Do you put your dog’s needs first before you? Your kid’s? Your significant other? Your business if you’re an entrepreneur? Your job?
No matter who you place first before you, it’s important to prioritize taking care of yourself because your physical and mental health are both one of the most important assets you have! Without them, you don’t even have the ability care for yourself or your loved ones.
Now, when you think of self-care habits, what comes to mind first to you?
I’m not just talking about taking a bubble bath or watching a movie with a tub of ice cream in hand when you’re feeling down or need to relax and unwind after a long, stressful day!
Instead, I’m talking about smaller, more subtle self-care habits and practices that you can incorporate into your daily life that can make a huge, positive impact on your life and how you feel.
By putting more time and effort into taking care of yourself, you’ll feel happier, reset your anxiety and stress levels, recharge, and be as productive as possible. Most importantly of all, your life will change for the better!
Self-Care Habits For The Mind
1. Write in a journal on a daily basis. If you need to release pent-up emotion or anger built up within you or you’re seeking clarity from a confusing or unhappy situation, writing all of your thoughts down can be magical and therapeutic.
I recommend freely writing down your thoughts in a wellness or gratitude journal. You can also check out journals that can specifically help guide you in this area and will inspire positivity, balance, and joy in your life. Check out my favorites below:
2. Take time off. Hustling and working hard to reach your goals are really important but if you’re constantly burnt out, tired, and feel like you have no motivation and your passion now is turning into a dreadful time, it’s a signal that it’s time for you to take some time off.
Taking time off to recharge is not only great to help you feel more physically refreshed but it can also help transform your mindset so that you feel motivated and excited to hit the ground running again.
If taking time off means taking a 2-3 week long trip to travel the world and be in a new surrounding or just an afternoon off to spend time with family, your pets, or friends, do what feels right for you.
3. Read self-help books. Our productivity and the way we look at the world all starts from within. We all can gain a little something from a positive self-help book from time to time and this is especially true if you’re going through a tough time in life and need some guidance or perspective on life.
Reading self-help books are a great way to motivate you, bring some positivity into your life, and lift your spirits when you’re lost or down. If you’re looking to get into positive self-help books and you’re not sure where to start, I definitely recommend giving The Happiness Project a try!
4. See the positive side of things. Our world is a really negative place nowadays and constantly surrounding ourselves with it can put a huge damper on your mood and how you see the world.
Train your mind to see the positive side of things, that the cup is not half empty but half full, and focus on the good instead of the bad. Learn to live an attitude of gratitude and you’ll be much happier and attract positivity into your life.
5. Find some quiet time. Sometimes our lives are so busy that we don’t get any quiet time to ourselves to recharge with no distractions.
Whether you draw a nice hot bubble bath, sit down to paint, or fill out a therapeutic adulting coloring book (that’s right – coloring books aren’t just for kids!), take some time out of the day every day (say for an hour or so) to just make it all about you. Silence your phone and learn to enjoy your own company and your own thoughts.
6. Immerse yourself in nature. Sometimes all we need to do to reset our minds and energy is to surround ourselves with nature. Take a hike or go biking in a conservation area or ravine if you’re near one and take in the sights and sounds of nature.
7. Positive self-talk. Often times, you are your own worst critic. That little voice at the back of your head can get real nasty.
You might notice that you unintentionally talk down to yourself by telling yourself you can’t do something. Or you might say negative things to yourself that you would never say to anyone else if they were you. Or maybe you always criticize minuscule details about yourself that other people don’t even notice.
Stop feeding yourself negativity!
Instead, train yourself to have greater self-esteem, more confidence, and put yourself in a positive mindset by repeating positive statements about yourself in front of the mirror every morning. Even if you don’t believe these statements at first, eventually you’ll start to believe them!
8. Meditate. Meditation is such a great way to refocus your thoughts and reset your mind. Close your eyes and take some time to focus on breathing deeply. You can also use techniques such as mindfulness to relax and clear your head.
9. Write down positive compliments from others. Do you have those days where you feel down, unmotivated, or just plain awful about yourself? I know we girls all have those days from time to time where we feel insecure or unworthy!
For those days where you don’t feel great about yourself, start a habit where every time you get a positive compliment from someone, write it down in a notebook!
Whenever you start experiencing one of those days where you’re down, take a look at that list of positive compliments that you’ve accumulated. Those are genuine compliments that other people have given you and are a great reminder on days where you need a pick-me-up that you’re awesome and worthy!
10. Hang out with positive people. We are who we surround ourselves with so take some time to figure out who is actually truly worthy of your time. Find people to spend time with who inspire you to be the best version of yourself and are just positive people overall!
If you don’t feel the positive energy from them or you always feel down and unhappy when they’re around, it might be beneficial to you to reduce the amount of time you spend with them and find other people who are more like-minded.
Self-Care Habits For The Body
1. Get enough sun. I’m not telling you to literally lay out in the sun and start tanning! But you should be getting enough exposure to the sun to get your body’s daily dose of much-needed vitamin D.
If you live in a cold climate where winter is pretty much present most of the year, you can get a light therapy lamp to lift your mood and take vitamin D supplements if you feel like you’re not getting enough sun.
Check out my post on further tips to beat the Winter Blues here!
2. Eat healthy & clean. A healthy mind and body starts with eating healthy and clean so try to get all of your nutrients from eating from all food groups. A lot of times, we eat fast food frequently because it’s so convenient and cheap but eating out all the time can make you feel bloated, gain weight, less productive, and so much more!
Instead, try eating more at home by planning out your meals in advance. It’s totally possible to save money on groceries while making great food at home and it’s great that you can control exactly which ingredients go into your food.
If you’re not great in the kitchen or just the thought of having to plan your meals stresses you out, I recommend checking out the Healthy Meal Planning Bundle if you’re looking to create cheap but healthy meals.
This bundle is jam packed with over 1000+ delicious but healthy recipes, 30+ ready-to-eat meal plans, plus a ton of e-courses, ebooks, and printables. These will help you save time so you don’t have to think long and hard on what to make at home and it’ll keep you focused on staying healthy. Definitely check it out!
3. Get enough exercise. Get that dopamine into your system! Getting enough exercise every week is so important to keep your body fit as well as your mind. This is even more important if you’re constantly stressed because you’re juggling a stressful 9-5 desk job, kids, a family, chores, and more.
Even if you don’t have time to go to the gym, try to get up during your breaks or at lunch and walk 10,000 steps a day. Giving yourself a spurt of awesome endorphins every day will put you in a better mood and you’ll feel happier, healthier, and more productive.
Don’t want to spend a lot of money on working out? Check out my post on 5 fun ways to get fit on a budget.
4. Get high-quality sleep. Getting enough high quality sleep is so important even if you might just dismiss it as something that happens every night anyway. But getting high-quality sleep isn’t always a given. Do you ever feel like you wake up groggy? Or no matter how many hours you sleep, you still feel tired?
High quality sleep isn’t always easy to achieve especially if you’re stressed or anxious and this can in turn change how you act and feel throughout the day. Strive to get better sleep with my 14 tips and you’ll feel more productive and energized to take on the day!
5. Focus on your posture. Our society nowadays is so technologically driven that we’re constantly hunched like turtles over our laptops and computers as well as straining our neck to look down at our cell phones.
Imagine sitting down sedentarily like that for hours a day (especially if you work at a 9-5 desk job!) and you can probably picture how much it can wreak havoc on our bodies!
Eventually, your body will get used to having bad posture unless you consciously change the way you sit and position your body. So focus on your posture and remember to always stretch!
More resources you’ll want to check out to improve your self-care
If you’re looking for more resources on how to take your self-care to the next level by learning how to fully relax, clean, treat, and improve your health and wellness with natural remedies, I highly recommend checking out the Herbs & Essential Oils Super Bundle.
Included in this bundle are 40 e-Books, e-Courses, printables, and workshops that will:
- Guide you on which natural remedies work and why (based on research and science)
- Teach you how to use herbs & essential oils to relax and de-stress
- Teach you how to safely use essential oils for you and your family
- Save you money by teaching you how to make these remedies yourself, forage for fresh ingredients, and grow your own herbs
- Give you ideas on how to create your DIY beauty and skincare products that are healthy for your body
Now, I totally get that it’s a HUGE number of resources (the bundle is valued at $701.14 after all!), but here’s the thing…
Even if just a handful of products apply to your life right now, it’s well worth the investment. Plus, it only takes 3 or 4 eBooks or eCourses that you’re going to use for you to start saving money.
And the best part is this collection of resources is yours to keep! All you need to do is download all the e-Books and register for the e-Courses within six months of purchase.
Aromatherapy Foundational Concepts – e-Course Valued At $75
- Learn how to get started with essential oils quickly, safely, and effectively
75+ Simple Essential Oil Recipes for the Whole Family – e-Book Valued At $14.99
- Learn how to create simple but non-toxic essential oil solutions for your whole family
The Healing Powers of Tea – e-Course Valued At $39.99
- Explore how to use herbal teas to help remedy your every day health care needs
A Year of Seasonal Herbs – e-Course Valued At $47
- Learn how to use herbs for medicine, body products, and in food to improve your health
Herbs for ADHD, Cognition, and Focus: 6 Month Intensive – Workshop Valued At $39
- This workshop will show you how to use herbs, diet, lifestyle, and nutrition to help support healthy cognitive behavior and soothe discomfort
Essential Clean Home – e-Book Valued At $7
- Learn how to change out store-bought cleaning products for easy DIY cleaning recipes using essential oils that will bring big changes to your everyday health and life
ANTI Anti-Aging Natural Skincare Guide: Amazing Skin No Matter What Your Number – e-Book Valued At $9.99
- Rediscover your best skin with this natural skincare guide (no matter your age!)
- Includes recipes to make effective skincare products at home
Herbal Remedies For Cold And Flu – e-Book Valued At $12
- Learn how to nourish your body and prevent illnesses and symptoms associated with the cold and flu
Check out the Herbs & Essential Oils Super Bundle today!
Looking for more posts on how to start a healthier lifestyle this year? Check out these posts:
- 14 Ways To Get Better Sleep To Feel More Productive & Energized
- How To Go To Sleep Earlier (Even When You’re A Total Night Owl!)
- How To Keep Fit When You Travel
- How To Drink More Water Every Day For A Healthier You
- 15 Ways To Easily Boost Your Mood Right Now
- 6 Ways To Start The Week Off Right Every Sunday
- How To Stay Healthy And Sane When You Work At A Desk Job
- How To Relax After Work When You Have A Stressful Day
What are some self-care habits and practices that you regularly incorporate into your daily life? Let me know in the comments below!