Are you looking to start a flexible side hustle and make extra income?
Whether you’re a stay-at-home mom with lots of downtime and you’d like to add to your income or you’re looking for a 100% flexible side gig where you can set your own hours while you travel around the world, here are 2 awesome companies to join if you’d like to work online at home or abroad.
Teaching English Online At Home With VIPKID
VIPKID is a company that will pay you up to $22/hour to teach English online to kids between the ages of 4 to 12 in China right in the comfort of your own home. All of the teaching material is given to you including props (which can be printed out), so there’s no need to come up with your own material. As long as you enjoy working with children, have a knack for teaching, and have any sort of previous teaching experience, teaching English online with VIPKID can be a great side gig to earn extra cash.
The awesome thing about VIPKID is that there aren’t too many requirements to become an online tutor! In fact, you will just need the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in any field
- Eligible to work in the US or Canada
- Have some sort of experience with formal or informal teaching
- And lastly, you should enjoy working with young kids!
So if you have any sort of tutoring, babysitting, coaching, mentoring, teaching, and volunteer experience in the past (such as when you had to complete your volunteer hours in high school), all of that counts as teaching experience!
As long as you have a stable Internet connection and you can punctually attend your classes online, you can work remotely and anywhere in the world. This is really great especially if you travel a lot but still want to be able to get some work hours in.
For each 25-minute class session (scheduled in 30-minute slots), VIPKID pays a base rate of $7-9/hour plus a $1 incentive for showing up to class on time and a $1 incentive based on the number of classes you finish each month. The more students that decide to book classes with you, the more you are compensated!
This sets the starting hourly rate of pay at $14/hour but the rate increases up to $22/hour depending on the number of extra incentives you receive.
So let’s say you work part-time for 25 hours per week for $22/hour, you can potentially earn up to $2,200 a month! And even if you just work the minimum 7.5 hours per week that they require each month for a starting pay of $14/hour, that’s still an extra $420 in the bank each month.
Payment is sent by direct deposit between the 10th to 15th of each month.
If this sounds like a flexible side-gig you’d enjoy, I encourage you to apply to become an online English teacher with VIPKID. Their application only takes 5 minutes of your time!
Teaching English Online At Home With Qkids
Another great work-at-home opportunity that is totally flexible is teaching English online at home to kids age 5 to 12 years old in China with Qkids. No course planning is necessary. All you need to be is self-motivated, passionate about teaching young kids (you will be teaching 1 to 4 kids at a time) and follow the curriculum that will be given to you. This is a great opportunity for SAHM’s, college students, and school teachers who want to add a little extra income each month.
There aren’t too many requirements to become a teacher with Qkids. You will just need the following:
- Legally eligible to work in the US or Canada
- Have a bachelor’s degree or are currently enrolled in university (university students are encouraged to apply!)
- Ability to lead an engaging learning atmosphere
- Not camera shy (their application will require you to record a 1-2 minute video of you telling or reading a children’s story)
- Commit to at least 6 hours of teaching weekly
- Prior experience in any teaching position is preferred
- Any English teaching certificate are preferred (ex. TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, ESL)
- And lastly, you should enjoy working with young kids!
You must also have a stable Internet connection and have a clear audio and video connection. As long as those conditions are met, you can work remotely and anywhere in the world!
Qkids provides a payout of $16-$20/hour for two 30-minute lessons. The base pay starts at $16/hour with attendance and performance bonuses of $1 calculated on a weekly basis. With full bonuses included, the pay is $20/hour.
Their program currently allows you to work up to 19 hours a week and with a mandatory requirement to complete at least 6 hours of teaching a week.
Payment is sent by bank transfer on the 15th of each month. The transfer fee is covered by Qkids.
If this sounds like a flexible side-gig you’d enjoy, I encourage you to apply to become an online English teacher with Qkids. Their application only takes 5 minutes of your time!
If you’re looking for a side job that will totally complement your lifestyle, definitely check out these 2 opportunities to make some extra cash in your spare time. Remember, applications to both companies require just 5 minutes of your time so it’s super fast and simple!
*Please don’t forget: As you will be an independent contractor, one thing you have to make sure you do on your own is to pay your taxes. That means each time you receive your pay, a percentage of that will need to be paid back to the government. I suggest opening a separate savings account just for your tax money to be sure not to spend it by accident!
Looking to make extra cash and save more money each month? Take a look at my other posts:
- 7 Awesome Shopping Apps That Helped Me Easily Save Over $500
- 30 Amazing Side Hustles You Can Start Right Now To Earn Extra Cash
- 19 Effortless Ways To Make Extra Money In Your PJ’s
- Ibotta: The One Shopping App That Will Actually Save You Money
- Save Money Every Time You Shop Online And Get A $10 Free Giftcard
- 13 Easy Ways To Save Money On Groceries Each Month
- 10 Simple Ways To Save Money On Utilities Each Month
- 28 Ways To Save Money & Cut Down Your Monthly Expenses
- 10 Tips On How To Survive A Shopping Ban
- 50 Fun And Frugal Date Ideas To Save Money
- The Best Dollar Tree Essentials Every Household Needs